Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Two weeks down



Hi Everyone,  This is a picture of my oncology nurse, Tammy. I am covered with a throw that Shawn & Jen got me for Christmas. It is an exact likeness of their dog ,(my grand-dog), Cooper. They felt it would be comforting to me. It was. In this picture, I just had my blood work drawn and was waiting for the results before they hooked me up to my meds. The WBC was quite low, marginal. I had to wait until they did a differential and performed their calculations and decided it was safe to administer the chemo. My pre-medication consisted of: Aloxi 215 mcg. (anti-emetic that stays in your system for 5 days), Emend 150 mg. (anti-emetic), Ativan (anti-emetic, relaxer), and Dexamethasone 20 mg. (steroid.). I received about 1500 cc of 9% saline prior to chemo. I then received Gemzar (chemo), followed by Cisplatin (chemo). After this, I received another 1000 cc of 0.9% saline. Since the Cisplatin is notorious for nausea/vomiting, and with my history, they are being very aggressive with my meds.We were there for SIX hours.  I will take an Emend tomorrow morning when I get up and Thursday morning as well. This drug is supposed to be superior for post-op N&V & post-chemo N&V. I'm counting on it. I told Alan even if I am sick tomorrow, he has to drag me to the surgeon's appt. I have many questions that I am finally ready to have answered. So we came home & did our ritual of marking off another week completed in this 12 week journey. Now, I am hoping for a quiet night and uneventful week. I may not be able to sleep tonight due to steroids, but I barely slept last night due to nerves. Hoping to crash around 9:00 p.m.
Keep warm,  Drive safe, Linda

6 comments:

  1. Love the picture! You did great today and like you said - hopefully uneventful and quiet for the rest of the week. You'll get through it fine just like before. We are always with you!
    Love
    Shawn, Jen, and Cooper

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was wonderful to hear your voice!! I really enjoyed talking to you. Stay strong and positive you are nearer to the end of your journey every day......Love Ya!!!!Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. You look wonderful in your picture! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mom! Hope you are feeling well today! Karen's right -- you are looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the smile! you sure can brighten a cold winter's day. :)

    ReplyDelete