Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tuesday...success

Well, I had my chemo today, even though it was "iffy" for awhile. I went in the office and the waiting room was just packed. I went back to the treatment room and had my blood drawn. I waited & waited for the results. My friend that took me was in the waiting room because he is a little squeamish around all the needles, IV's, mediports, etc. I asked the nurses to tell him if chemo was going to be administered today so he could step out for awhile. Forty minutes later, they told me my WBC's were borderline and they were running more tests. Finally, at 2:00, they decided I could have my chemo. In the meantime, two different patients were having reactions to the chemo...one mild, one severe. The man next to me got very pale, eyes rolling back in his head, BP dropping, pulse dropping, clutching his chest and having seizures. They called 911 and two different ambulance companies came. I was gathering up all of my stuff, unplugging my pump from the wall and trying to move out of the way. I knew they needed room for the EMT's, stretcher, Oxygen, monitors, etc. I felt like I should be helping! This, of course, delayed me even further. They kept apologizing to me and I assured them if anyone understood-I did, as this happened to me on my very first treatment. When they finally started administering the Gemzar, I was a bit nervous. The nurses stayed right by my side and everything was O.K. So, the next milestone is next Tuesday for my long treatment with two drugs. Hopefully, this drug today doesn't knock me back down and delay things next week. If all goes well, chemo next Tuesday followed by Neulasta injection on Wednesday....and then I will be HALFWAY THROUGH! Hope this has everyone up to date. Linda

4 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS LINDA ONE STEP CLOSER I KNEW YOU COULD DO IT!! DON'T WORRY ABOUT NEXT WEEK. CELEBRATE YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENT TODAY. WE ARE ALL SO INSPIRED BY YOU!!!! Love Ya Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad to hear you got another treatment out of the way. never a dull moment for you, huh??

    great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so happy it went as planned on Tuesday. Our positive thoughts brought your positive results yet again! It will feel so good to say you are "Halfway through" very soon. Keep up the good work, your strength, and your positive attitude. It is working!

    We love you
    Shawn, Jen, Cooper

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only you. :) It wouldn't be a normal day for you if something bizarre didn't happen! Oh well, you made it through another chemo day!! Can you see the beach at the end of the tunnel yet?? Love you!

    ReplyDelete