Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Well, it will soon be a year that I was diagnosed & not given much hope at all. I was thinking back over the past year and taking inventory. This list is not complete, but lets you know a bit of what went on last year. I had 5 surgeries, 5 emergency room visits (one by ambulance after an allergic reaction to chemo-I actually had 2 of those!) & 3 inpatient hospital admissions. I was examined, poked, prodded, etc. by the following: 3 cardiothoracic surgeons, 1 thoracic surgeon, 3 cardiologists, 2 general surgeons, 3 pulmonologists, 2 nephrologists, 1 radiation oncologist, 1 medical oncologist, 1 general practitioner, 1 audiologist, 1 gastroenterologist, 1 orthopedic surgeon, 1 neurologist & 1 rheumatologist.
I endured 19 weeks of chemotherapy, 6 1/2 weeks of radiation therapy and had 10 additional trips to chemo for replacement fluids for severe dehydration.I had 6 CT scans, 1 PET scan, 1 MRI, 1 bone scan, 2 ultrasounds, 3 2-D echocardiograms, 2 Holter monitors, EKG's, chest X-rays and countless lab tests. I had arterial blood gases, pulmonary function tests, several blood transfusions, an esophagram, esophageal transit study, gastric emptying test, & 3 rounds of physical therapy. I have significant hearing loss in both ears and some kidney dysfunction due to the chemo. I lost a lot of hair, had more pain, nausea & vomiting than imaginable and still have some shortness of breath. My esophagus doesn't work right and the lower esophageal valve is eroded away.
BUT, I'M STILL HERE!!! It takes more than that to stop me. Who needs 2 complete lungs anyway? I can still take walks with Alan & play with Karlynn & Mackenzie. I can brush their hair and watch Karlynn cheer. I can look into Karlynn's beautiful blue eyes as she reads to me. I can watch Mackenzie's sweetness & never ending energy. I can talk to Kara, Donny, Shawn & Jen anytime. I can enjoy my 2 grand-dogs Cooper & Marley. Smelling the fresh cut grass, looking at the clouds in a gorgeous blue sky, enjoying the flowers, talking to friends and family, going to church and doing my crossword puzzles...what could be better than that? My next goals are to watch Karlynn cheer at her very first game and a trip to Charlotte next month to see Shawn, Jen & Cooper. Can't wait, Linda

6 comments:

  1. I told you it wouldn't get you down. You cannot be stopped. Not by any of this. You are stronger than you ever imagined, and it sounds like you are finally starting to realize that :) Enjoy the summer, good weather, and the pool now. Just relax, and look forward to the trip to Charlotte. Then Florida. Then who knows where?! There is not one other person in the world that I know who could endure what you did. I said it before and I'll say it again - you are an inspiration to every single person in the world that knows anything about you.

    We love you!

    Shawn, Jen, & Cooper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget about our trip to NYC! :) I was thinking back to this time last year; it is amazing how far you've come! I know you are still recovering but we are all just so thankful to have you here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DEAR LINDA, YOU KEPT YOUR FAITH, STAYED THE COURSE, AND REMAINED STRONG AND DETERMINED...EVERYTHING THAT YOU NEEDED TO COME AS FAR AS YOU ARE NOW...PLUS YOU HAVE A GREAT ENCOURAGING AND LOVING FAMILY AND MANY, MANY FRIENDS, AND GREAT DOCTORS!!!! NOW ENJOY YOUR RECOVERY AND ALL THAT MAKES YOU HAPPY.
    SC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda,
    It was great seeing you at the mall....I think of you often.....glad you are doing well!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom,

    I love you soooo much and God has blessed me with you in my life!!!!! we cant wait to see you this month down here is Charlotte! You are on of the strongest people I know and I love you!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Momoo, I love you so so so much and I want to see you. Love you, *kiss* bye!

    Love, Mackenzie

    ReplyDelete