Tuesday, December 29, 2009

First week down, Eleven to go

I had my first postoperative chemo today. I have a 12 week course of chemo. Today, I just had one drug, Gemcitabine (Gemzar.) This drug causes bone marrow depression, decreasing the white blood cells, red blood cells, and platelets. Bone marrow depression usually occurs seven days after the drug is given and may increase risk of infection, fatigue, & bleeding. So, I'll be going back into my isolation mode. I was at UPMC about three hours. I had a Dr.s visit with my oncologist, blood drawn, and then the meds. I was pre-treated with Ativan & Decadron and then received the Gemzar. I also had two boluses of 0.9% saline for hydration. So, today went well. Yay! Next week, I will receive Gemzar and Cysplatin. Next weeks chemo will be six hours. Yikes! We did have another discussion on the loss of hair and now they are not sure of the outcome. Greg, thanks for bringing me the ball cap up from Texas. It may come in quite handy. I promise to wear it either way.
I always feel good immediately after chemo from all the premedication. So, I think I will go & enjoy this feeling. Happy New Year!, Linda

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are having a good day!!!!Happy New Year to you and the family...Love Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gregg and I just read your blog. Glad to hear everything went well with your first treatment. Remember positive thoughts yield positive results.
    Thinking of you. Happy New Year to all.
    Love, Aunt Linn and Gregg

    ReplyDelete