Tuesday, September 1, 2009

All Around Town

Today should have been uneventful. A quick trip to radiation Rx-a nice rest in the linear accelerator, and on my way home. Well, we are starting to realize things are just not that easy for me. I have been complaining of severe pain from this port since insertion. I knew I had to address it today. After radiation, Kara, Karlynn, Kenzie, & I took a chance and drove down to the lung center at Jameson. Of course, it was closed today, but as we wandered around, we met the surgery supervisor-a real stroke of luck. She checked my port for me and we became more convinced, it was not right. She tried to call a few general surgeeons to take a look, but they were all in surgery. She said she would put me on the schedule immediately, working around my radiation times. She was wonderful, but I had other plans. I wanted to come back home to Northside for this intervention. I had to drive back to cancer care to check with oncologist if power port could be replaced with a mediport. Then, I had to go to radiation oncologist to see if any problems with placement so as not to interfere with radiation. They were emphatic about not removing any markings, so whoever my hike nurse is....look out on the prep! Next, a call to the original surgeon in Pittsburgh. Then I called NSH surgery, they hooked me up with Dr. Smith, off to his office to fill out paperwork, and be examined. So, guess what, yet another surgery this Thursday for repositioning of port ,or removal of and insertion mediport, and probably evacuation of hematoma. Dr. Smith is graciously working around my radiation schedule. So,Thursday morning, up & out of the house, get irradiated, off to NSH for a little surgery. No Canfield Fair Thursday night. My fair-going is getting seriously curtailed this year. But, I did get the OK to go from both oncologists as my counts are good and I am staying strong. As I said before, just another bump (inconvenience.) These little things can't be allowed to win & get me down. I'm stronger than that. Linda

13 comments:

  1. Haha, you left off our little side trips to Dr. Goldstein's office and Dr. Schmetterer's office. Crazy day! I hope that tomorrow you are in and out. I am exhausted, you are like superwoman doing all that running around! See you tomorrow! LOVE ME

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...what a day! I'm off Thursday but I know you will be in good hands....Kara is right..you are superwoman!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you definitely rock! nothing's going to keep you down for long! keep it up. :)and what are the chances of running into the surgery supervisor? you've got lotsw of angels on your side!

    ReplyDelete
  4. amen to the medi-port.i know that once it's put in things will definitely be smoother.good luck thurs and since we will be leaving 2 am,i hope to read it's all good news by thurs.eve. talk to you soon, love debbie h

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you got the ok to go to the fair. I know how much you love it. Now you can get some Ruritan fries.
    Happy eating :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to know things finally seem to be working. All of the prayers and positive thoughts are working. We all know how strong you are and how well you are going to do. If you've done what you have so far, there's nothing to stop you now. Do you want to know what strong is? Strong is swinging from the rafters by a badmitten racket and falling and fracturing one's collar bone----and then not telling for fear of being yelled at. THAT'S WHAT STRONG IS!!!!!! If you need something to do while you're resting and gathering strength, maybe you create and sell maps locating 50cent pop. Have a good day tomorrow. Before you know it, the three of us will be at Rogers sharing like we once did. (one can, three straws.) Love, Patty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't worry about tomorrow! The surgery will go fine, and hopefully you won't be as sore from the mediport as you were with the power port! I'll be thinking of you from Wytheville VA all day :) Call me before you go to the hospital!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LINDA, YOU WILL BE IN THE BEST OF HANDS FOR YOUR PROCEDURE.EVERYONE AT WORK LOVES YOU AND WILL BE LOOKING OUT FOR YOU. LOVE,KAREN

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning Mom! Today is the day your port issues will be resolved and you can stop being in such pain every day. It will all go smoothly, I know! I will see you shortly to go to radiation! LOVE ME

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Mommoo, it's my second day of school and I'm really excited. The other half of my class is gonna be there and I'm just really excited. Tell me all about how your port feels better next time. Love, Karlynn <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope they fix up your port issues today. One less thing to think about! It seemed to be bothering you since placed. Good for you to find whoever it takes to correct it. Stay strong and remember, one day at a time! I'm thinking of you!! Laurel misses your toes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda, I hope today went smoothly for you. I look forward to hearing about your day when you feel up to it. I'm thinking of you and praying for you every day. Love Ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like everything was a success today! SOOOOO GLAD! I bet it doesn't hurt near as much as last time.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete