Monday, September 21, 2009

The Countdown Begins

Well, I now have 13 more radiation treatments and 2 more chemotherapy treatments. I'm half-way there. This is the first one of the two weeks we were supposed to be in Florida. So, instead of walking along the water in the beautiful, white sand...I'm here, walking down the halls of UPMC Cancer Center. Instead of eating fabulous seafood, I'm having Ensure & protein shakes. Instead of lying on a beach chair in the fabulous sun, I'm lying in a recliner watching my chemo dripping into my body. But, that's O.K. because I have all this to look forward to in the future. The trip, I mean, (but also the chemo because I get to have more after the surgery..Yippeeee!)  Anyway, this was a bad weekend-lots of stomach pain. We got it all straightened out though. Three more new meds. One is a preventive medication so I don't get a yeast infection of the esophagus. Sounds nasty and is quite painful, I understand. The other soothes and coats my esophagus & stomach, and the third helps empty my stomach. I was having this phenomenon of eating or drinking 1/2  ounce of anything and I was totally full & unable to eat/drink any more. That definitely wasn't working out while trying to maintain my weight. So, between the stomach meds, cough meds, anti-nausea meds, pain meds, and anti-reflux meds., I am doing my part to keep the pharmaceutical business hopping. At chemo today, because of my prior weekend, I got an extra bag of fluids again and some extra anti-emetics. I think I'll get another bolus toward the end of the week. Shawn, Jen, & Cooper are on the way home to North Carolina  :(  He was able to take me to chemo, radiation, & Dr. visit today :) We're going to try to go to Kara & Donny's for dinner tonight :)  Alan will get a break from kitchen duty. Hope this catches everyone up. What a loyal bunch of friends you are. My good friend said it best when she got sick, "Angels came out of the woodwork." ..........and they have!   Love, Linda

8 comments:

  1. It was SO WONDERFUL to have you back at our house tonight! You are halfway there ... not too much longer! And don't you worry ... Florida will be there waiting for you when you're ready to go! You will lay out on the white sandy beach, and walk along the shore, take a dip in the clear blue water and then go to Captain Curt's for lunch – and this will all be a distant memory! You're almost there ... you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You, I enjoyed dinner. Let's hope this lasts. Have a good evening. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that you all had a great evening together!!!Thinking of each of you and admiring the strength resilience and courage you have.Linda, keep on fighting there are alot of people who want to see pictures of you lounging on the beach on this site when this journey is completed Love, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats on reaching the halfway point and for keeping your sunny disposition. :) you are an inspiration, and i know kara and the girls (and donny, ever the entertainer) were overjoyed to have you over. keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but how we react to what happens; not by what life brings us, but by the attitude we bring to life. A positive attitude causes a chain reaction of positive thoughts, events and outcomes. It is a catalyst a spark that creates extraordinary results."
    -- UNKNOWN

    Im thinking of you Sweetie, and am absolutely sure with your amazing spirit and your faith in your heart you will be triumphant.Enjoying many years to come, making memories with your family on those florida vacations!! Love You!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you are still feeling pretty good today and that radiation went well. Sorry I couldnt call this morning but i was in the board room in meetings & presentations until noon. You rock so much and I can't believe you are more than halfway through these treatments. Things are looking good!!! We love you so much and miss you!
    Love,
    Shawn Jen & Cooper

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang in there! I'm sure its hard to remember, but soon enough it will all be over and you'll be enjoying (and deserving) all sorts of vacations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad there is some improvement. it is just day by day. I am glad you are getting preventive meds to prevent unpleasant reactions to your treatment. just think, you do not have to diet, just eat what you can.
    gm

    ReplyDelete