Friday, September 18, 2009

Bad day today (written by Shawn)

Hey everyone, this is Shawn.  Jen & I came home from Charlotte for a long weekend to help out with mom.  Today I drove her UPMC for radiation therapy, met Bob the therapist and he gave me a tour of the Linear Accelerator.  That is some amazing equipment and I can see why everyone says how far medical technology has come in the past 10 years.  After therapy I tried to take her to lunch but she was not feeling up to it at all.   Drove through McDonalds for a shake, but she couldn't even eat that.  It got progressively worse throughout the day.   She couldn't eat anything much all day.  She has stomach pain directly related to the radiation.  At about 8:00 pm, I ended up just calling her radiation oncologist directly on his cell phone to ask if he could get a prescription ASAP to help with her stomach.  Not only did he get one, I ended up with three meds.  I can't believe this guy - after hours, on his personal cell phone, and I had prescriptions within 15 minutes at walgreens.  I didn't like the answers I got at walgreens so I called the doctor again to ask about dosage and he was more than happy to answer my call.  Now that is service.  She is now loaded up on her meds, and we are determined to get her feeling better tomorrow and get her through all of this (which we WILL).   HANG IN THERE MOM!  We all love you and you know everyone is thinking of you. 

4 comments:

  1. You need to hang in there! I know it is so tough on these days when you feel horrible, but you need to remember this is ONLY TEMPORARY! It WILL get better! Tomorrow's another day and with the new meds on board you WILL feel better. It's okay to not feel good once in a while -- in fact, it's expected. Don't let it get to you; it's all par for the course and you are doing SO FABULOUSLY considering all you are going through. We are ALL here to help you every step of the way and don't you EVER think for one second that you are an inconvenience, that is just crazy talk! :) We are all determined to do whatever YOU need done and we WANT to do what we can to help you, whether it is running to the store for more popsicles or calling your doctor at home for prescriptions. Now hopefully the new meds have kicked in and you can begin to feel better and get a restful sleep, because I will be over in the morning and we WILL find you something you can eat! I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. shawn and kara, keep up the good work. i am literally 2 min.from her.if ever she needs something picked up call me and chuck is always available too.i hate to always call and bother for fear she is laying down or asleep.if you need me to run errands for you or your dad for her PLEASE PLEASE call.she is half thru with the chemo and WILL be better soon,the prayers are still in full force and on several lists.we love all of you.aunt debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. dear linda,
    i continue to pray for you; i know it is not easy but there will be a light at the end of the tunnel. remember God never gives you more than you can bear and He is always there. you have angels all around. what a blessing. rest when you can and let God carry you

    ReplyDelete
  4. DEAR LINDA, PRAYING AND THINKING OF YOU AS ALWAYS YOU SURE RAISED A COUPLE OF GREAT KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!LOVE,KAREN

    ReplyDelete