Saturday, September 12, 2009

1/4 of the way there!

I am officially 1/4 of the way done with chemo & radiation. Week #2 of 7 1/2 weeks is over. Yay! I am beginning to see a pattern emerging here. The day of chemo and first day post-chemo are not too bad. I am so full of the premedications & steroids, I feel ok. This is when I go shopping, out to lunch, visiting, etc. (Well, not any more-my oncologist said shopping , etc. is off limits.) However, the second day post-chemo is HORRIBLE...overwhelming nausea, impossible fatigue. My friend, Sue who is a CRNA drove me to radiation Thursday. I was a very poor traveling companion, (Sorry, Sue.) Anyway, once again, the staff took one look at me and said I needed to see the Dr. Sue was talking to him about anti-emetics as I sat with my head against the wall just trying to not be ill. Anyway, they decided upon Zofran ODT, which dissolves on the tongue. It has been a lifesaver. I take it every eight hours. I will be taking it round the clock day 2-5. The fatigue is helped by lying in bed approximately 18-20 hours. Now, that those minor details are worked out, things will hopefully be better next week. (Always a solution, we just have to keep searching.) For those of you who visited & sent me the birthday cards and gifts, you are some very special people in my life. The afternoon shift from Northside Surgery that called Friday night and sang Happy Birthday sounded like a chorus of angels! Debbie, thank you for handling the sandwich ring meltdown. I just knew I didn't have the energy to deal with that! No more jokes about it, either. So, it really wasn't how I would have ever planned to celebrate my birthday. Lying in that linear accelerator is not really what we would ever think our day would include. However, the caring & compassionate people in my life make it all bearable. As I sat in the waiting room, the entire staff, including my radiation oncologist came out with a little cake and sang "Happy Birthday." People are just good-life is good. Thanks, everyone, for your unwavering support. Love, Linda

5 comments:

  1. you're such a positive person who puts so much good out into the world. it doesn't surprise me at all that people want to rally around you now. so far you've met every challenge and moved past it.keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather's right. Remember how we talked about that whack-a-mole game? You are the mole that keeps popping back up, no matter how many times that hammer tries to get you. :)Or, you're the hammer that keeps on smacking down all the obstacles you come up against. Either way, the analogy works. :) Now, we have that Zofran so you should not get so sick next week. Smooth sailing ahead! I hope you got some sleep last night, and that your aches and pains have gotten better! I will see you later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness for Zofran! At least some fatigue is better than being totally sick and throwing up all over. Rest up so you can knock out the last 3/4 of your treatments. See you soon!

    Love,
    Shawn Jen & Cooper

    ReplyDelete
  4. eat some vegtabls and som other stuff and drink some water<<33

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope that this week is easier for you with the new med. Have a cheeseburger and shake for me. I'll be thinking of you and praying for you . Love ,Karen

    ReplyDelete